Saturday, October 16, 2010

Something Only A Man Would Think...

In chemistry, one's ideas, however beautiful, logical, elegant, imaginative they may be in their own right, are simply without value unless they are actually applicable to the one physical environment we have--in short, they are good only if they work!  I personally very much enjoy the very special challenge which this physical restraint on fantasy presents. 
~Robert Burns Woodward

I liked that quote so much (found here) that I read it aloud to my wife.  She immediately snarked that "only a man would even think to write such a thing."

1 comment:

  1. Full context:

    I love crystals, the beauty of their form--and their formulation; liquids, dormant, distilling, sloshing!; the fumes; the odors--good and bad; the rainbow of colors; the gleeming of vessels, of every size, shape and purpose. Much as I might think about chemistry, it would not exist for me without these physical, visual, tangible, sensuous things...
    [I}n chemistry, one's ideas, however beautiful, logical, elegant, imaginative they may be in their own right, are simply without value unless they are actually applicable to the one physical environment we have--in short, they are good only if they work! I personally very much enjoy the very special challenge which this physical restraint on fantasy presents.

    ReplyDelete