Friday, March 25, 2011

Letters Home: "I finally made P.F.C."

Mar 25, 1953
Dear Mom Dad and all,
Its been another nice day. I finally made P.F.C. It took long enough. Ratings are just starting to come out good now. It shouldn’t take us long for Cpl. 
Nothing new is happening over here. I think I’ll take the top off of my jeep. I already got the doors off. 
I sure didn’t do much work today. Just changed oil in my jeep. 
I sure wished R. could take my job. He would have it made. How is he getting along with the draft board?
Love,
V. 
___________________
R. was his younger brother. He was drafted and also served, even though hostilities ceased in Korea that summer.

3 comments:

  1. I still remember my Uncle R. yucking it up over the original Altman film M*A*S*H* when it came out (which I was too young to see).

    "That's how it really was" he said to my dad, taking another swig out of a can of beer.

    That's how I learned about the grown-up movies back then. That and from Mad Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M*A*S*H was a documentary. So was "WAG THE DOG".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This continues to be a great series.

    ReplyDelete