Thursday, March 24, 2011

50 Years Of MyTunes: 1994

1994 was another great year for new releases.

Love me some Beck, Mellow Gold. Beck was the kind of artist predicted by Jim Morrison, as explained by Trooper York's good buddy Montana Urban Legend here. The song Loser was even the target of feminist ire as recorded here (more on this below).

Jon Spencer (ex-Pussy Galore front man) put together an interesting power trio called the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Check out the video for the most fabulous & groovy Bellbottoms from the album Orange. That video gives you a good idea of what they were doing then. Guitarist Judah Bauer now plays for Cat Power.

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star by Sonic Youth was kind of a bust for me, with just one memorable song: Bull In the Heather. The cute brunette in that video is Kathleen Hanna. She "appeared" that same the following year on Mike Watt's solo effort, Ball-Hog or Tugboat?  He asked her to contribute to his album (which brought together members of the future Foo Fighters), but she declined. Instead she ranted in a voice message on his phone and he put it on his record as her contribution! Since I've been unable to find it anywhere, I digitized my vinyl and uploaded it myself here. Hope I don't get in trouble for that! You can buy the original here, and a transcript is here.

Ill Communication by the Beastie Boys. Sabotage  was my favorite choreographed video for 1994.  It's so '70s -- so Mannix!

Jar of Flies by Alice In Chains. Their song No Excuses was a big hit.

My beloved Meat Puppets had a minor hit with Backwater.

Dookie by Green Day. I still think there is something disingenuous about Green Day, but I can't put my finger on it. My wife says they sound like the old L.A. punk band the Dickies. Longview and Basket Case were pretty good stuff.

Closer by Nine Inch Nails was OK but I really didn't enjoy the whole album. I find their music a bit too synthetic. Maybe their intensity is too bright for my eyes?

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. Nihilist much?

Rusty by Rodan. The CD is actually quite good in its entirety. I dubbed it "Punk Floyd." Bible Silver Corner.

Last but not least, Vasoline by the Stone Temple Pilots.

1 comment:

  1. I think I lost 1994 somewhere. I'm trying to remember where I was...or what I was doing, but I think I missed all the tunes because I was lost in past music at the time.

    ReplyDelete