Friday, August 13, 2010

50 Years Of MyTunes: 1965 Can't Get No Satisfaction


When I'm watchin' my TV
And a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me

This is getting tougher. Too many songs!  Keep in mind that I'm just trying to pick out my favorites from each year--I'm not trying to be all inclusive.  What I've had to do now is to carve out the Beatles and the Beach Boys and to divvy up what's left. I'll leave discussions of the Beatles to a professional like Ron.  I suppose I should eventually say what I think about the Beach Boys.  But not today.

1965 was another big change year for rock 'n' roll. A couple of new favorite groups appeared on the scene: most notably The Byrds, The Who & The Yardbirds (all big guitar sounds). Here are my nominees with the emboldened winner:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction ~ Rolling Stones
Like A Rolling Stone ~ Bob Dylan
My Generation  ~ The Who
Turn, Turn, Turn ~ The Byrds
The Sounds Of Silence~ Simon & Garfunkel
The Tracks Of My Tears ~ Smokey Robinsion & The Miracles
California Dreamin' ~ The Mamas & The Papas
Do You Believe In Magic ~ Lovin' Spoonful
I Got You (I Feel Good) ~ James Brown
I Fought The Law ~ Bobby Fuller Four
I Can't Help Myself ~ Four Tops
For Your Love ~ Yardbirds
Unchained Melody ~ Righteous Brothers
Hang On Sloopy ~ McCoys
Stop! In The Name Of Love ~ Supremes

9 comments:

  1. Hard to choose since they're all so good but I'll go with Bob Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hardly a professional...and if I am, hey, where's the cash!?

    Just from your list alone, I find I can't make a selection. Too many things I really like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two from your list that I never get tired of listening to.

    Tracks of my Tears. Black artists began really recovering and becoming mainstream after being knee whacked by the Beatles a few years earlier. The Beatles (who I never really cared for much in their early years) derailed the evolution of black artists and their signature styles by several years. Pop stuff like Smokey, Supremes, Temptations made the comeback. In the 50's (when I was still in grade school born 1950...yeah I'm old... lol) you never heard 'black'style music on the Pop stations during the day, only at night on AM skips.

    Unchained Melody: Besides the fact that I'm a sucker for a tenor voice. The synthesis three types of music: take an old fogey standard combined with "soul music" sounds and some country influence in the harmony styling of the Righteous Bros. It was the beginning of a new genre of music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete: Did you ever see "No Direction Home"? Al Kooper's description of the recording of that song is memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, I'm just doffing my hat to you regarding the Beatles. I know how much you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DBQ: Another great comment on music. I just love that you come here and write these.

    Did you ever see the video of Elvis's last version of "Unchained Melody" linkage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. El Pollo, I do have a crazy amount of Beatles stuff....Even George Martin's autograph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This video is one of the earliest, more important transitions in music history (since you're a fan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

    :)

    ReplyDelete