Tuesday, August 10, 2010

50 Years Of MyTunes: 1964 Got Kinda Kinky


The Beatles and the Beach Boys dominated the charts in 1964 and so everyone's favorite is likely to be one of their songs.  But notice other trends emerging in the list below including Motown & other British Invasion groups.  And there's Bob Dylan still caught up in his folk mode.  I voted Kinks for their enduring effect on the guitar-driven sound, but that may just be me.

You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling ~ The Righteous Brothers
My Girl ~ The Temptations
You Really Got Me ~ The Kinks
House Of The Rising Sun ~ The Animals
Where Did Our Love Go ~ Supremes
She's Not There ~ The Zombies
The Times They Are A'Changin' ~ Bob Dylan
Dancing In The Street ~ Martha & the Vandellas
Under The Boardwalk ~ The Drifters
Gloria ~ Them (Van Morrison)
Baby I Need Your Lovin' ~ Four Tops
Do Wah Diddy Diddy ~ Manfred Mann
Needles And Pins ~ The Searchers
Rag Doll ~ The Four Seasons
Baby Love ~ The Supremes
Chapel Of Love ~ Dixie Cups
Tell Her No ~ The Zombies
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) ~ Marvin Gaye
Leader Of The Pack ~ Shangri-Las
Come See About Me ~ Supremes
Time Is On My Side ~ Rolling Stones
The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena) ~ Jan & Dean
It's All Over Now ~ Rolling Stones
The "In" Crowd ~ Dobie Gray

6 comments:

  1. Smart move segregating The Beatles from the rest of the pack. Again, 1964 is such a transitional period - Dylan and The Beatles were changing fast, the hits from the first of the year are so much different from the last of the year and how different is You Really Got Me from Dancin' in the Streets. I like your pick but I'll go with She's Not There just to keep the conversation going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pick but I'll go with She's Not There just to keep the conversation going.

    The other day I heard the great 70s anthem "Hold Your Your Up" and for the life of me I couldn't remember who did it. Turns out it was ex-Zombie Rod Argent's band (you guessed it--Argent).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that. All of these connections. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Zombies....She's not there because it represented to me, even at the time I was living it, the beginning of the spaced out 60's culture. Plus I love their back beat.

    The House of the Rising Sun was a big favorite of mine because I already knew the song as an old old folk song from the South that I was familiar with in the 50's and it was interesting to see how it could be modernized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The House of the Rising Sun

    DBQ: That's an interesting song with long rich history. You're right that if was an old folk tune. According to interviews in "No Direction Home" Dylan stole Dave Van Ronk's arrangement and put it on his first album. Dylan's arrangement went nowhere. The Animals covered the song using the Van Ronk/Dylan arrangement and had a hit. Still, my favorite version is the guitar-driven one by the Detroit's Frijid Pink linkage

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Zombies....She's not there because it represented to me, even at the time I was living it, the beginning of the spaced out 60's culture. Plus I love their back beat.

    I'm guessing that you and I have a lot in common with likes and dislikes in music from that era.

    ReplyDelete