Monday, December 6, 2010

50 Years Of MyTunes: 1974




Albums:

Get Your Wings ~ Aerosmith. People love to deride Aerosmith as derivative of the Rolling Stones. Truth is that the Stones at this point in time mostly sucked.

Country Life ~ Roxy Music. I recall buying this album at the old Lake St. Station in Madison before they tore down that old house to make a Hardee's restaurant. The album was sold wrapped in opaque plastic to hide the "controversial" cover art.

Rock 'n' Roll Animal ~ Lou Reed dishes out some Velvet Underground oldies along with some Glam rock numbers. I like Reed's band better than the man himself in this phase.

Where We All Belong ~ Marshall Tucker Band.  Live double album from my second favorite "Southern Rock" band. Favorites here include "Can't You See" and "24 Hours At A Time."

Bridge Of Sighs ~ Robin Trower.  Forever on the search of guitar-driven power trios after the death of Jimi Hendrix, I noticed this short-lived power trio early on.

Irish Tour '74 ~ Rory Gallagher

Crime Of The Century ~ Supertramp was another band I first heard hanging around stereo shops in Madison at the time.

Not Fragile ~ Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Bad Company ~ Bad Company was a short-lived "supergroup" formed from the demise of Free, Mott The Hoople, and King Crimson.

Court And Spark ~ Joni Mitchell

Singles:

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) ~ The Rolling Stones.

Astronomy ~ Blue Öyster Cult hung around Patti Smith at this time (or vice versa).  I'm thinking they could have been one of the first bands to use umlauts-a couple of years before Motörhead did. This song was from their album Secret Treaties.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised ~ Gil Scott-Heron does proto-Hip Hop.

Rebel Rebel ~ David Bowie

Killer Queen ~ Queen

Pick Up the Pieces ~ Average White Band

Rikki Don't Lose That Number ~ Steely Dan from Pretzel Logic.

I Shot the Sherif ~ Eric Clapton jumps on the Reggae bandwagon.

Already Gone ~ Eagles from On The Border.

Sundown ~ Gordon Lightfoot's most interesting song inspired by Cathy Smith, a former girlfriend who later served time for her involvement in John Belushi's death.

Take Me To the River ~ Al Green.  The Talking Heads covered this later.

U.S. Blues ~ Grateful Dead from Mars Hotel.

2 comments:

  1. I owned none of the albums and none of the singles but had heard of most.

    Interesting about Lightfoot and Cathy Smith; I'd recently looked that up after the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald discussion over at the blogger lady's place. Don't know what spell that Smith could cast over these guys but there was something there they saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit to quite a fondness for Country Life....smuggled outta the record store and past my 'rents...All I Want Is You was a particular favorite of mine...I believe I will play it now!

    ReplyDelete