Sunday, June 20, 2010

Letters Home: "I guess we won’t be near any big cities over there. Back in the sticks"

No way could my dad have known that I'd be reading and poring through his old letters written to his family while in the service 58 years ago. The complete set of letters can be found by clicking on the tag "Letters Home".

Happy Father's Day!


June 20, 1952
Fort Campbell
8:00 fri nite
Dear Mom and Dad and All,
Its been another hot day. I went swimming after the sun went down.  I lost my billfold Tuesday and nobody has turned it in yet. I had $14.00 in it and my I.D. card. I don’t know what I will do about my drivers licenses. They expired November 4th. [1] Maybe dad can find out down to the police station. [2] I suppose they will say wait till I get out of the Army. If I do that I would have to take my tests and all that red tape. My Social Security Card can wait till I get out.  I got a card in my box to send in if I was ever to lose that. Sure made me mad. I don’t think I’ll buy another one. Just send all my money home instead of half of it.
I’m taking guard for another guy tomorrow for $15.00. [3] Its just starting to rain. First time in 15 days.  I haven’t been off post since I’ve been back. Maybe if I stay in I can earn some extra money to send home.
I heard we got only 23 months for going to Europe. That means 15 more months to go. Jr. had three months taken off for going to Korea. It works the same way. I guess we won’t be near any big cities over there. Back in the sticks.
Sunday nite
I just got back from swimming. Nothing new happened today so I just have well finished this Friday. Still haven’t found my billfold. Just as well forget it.
love,
V.
________________________________
[1] I have no clue why he used the plural. It's not a typo or a grammatical error. I'm certain that he had no driver's license other than the one issued by the State of Wisconsin.

[2] There's that construction "down to" again.  I considered it back here briefly. Written like he spoke.

[3] Gotta wonder if doing some else's guard duty for pay was (a) legal or (b) tolerated by the military at the time. But there you have it- a frank admission of a way to use the system.

[4] "so I just have well finished this Friday" or [because nothing new happened] I may just as well have finished this letter on Friday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm certain that he had no driver's license other than the one issued by the State of Wisconsin.

    Maybe he had a lot of fake ones, with a different alias on each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great remembrance. Well done!

    ReplyDelete